Saturday, December 12, 2009

What was I thinking?!?!?

This was the question that kept running through my head on Thursday.

I was going for dinner...no, a feast,  with two friends at a favourite Malaysian restaurant.  I was going to go to the gym.  And today was the day for Week One Day Two of my Learn to Run program.....

Problem was, my legs hurt.  My bum hurt. I hurt and I was tired and I woke with a headache (my pillows were too high and I slept at an odd angle).  In my head I whined and whined and whined....I had every justification to not go.  Problem was, I really want to do this 5km run.  I do.

I grabbed lunch and committed to drop my mom at the mall for some Christmas shopping...I would go to the gym, do my running program and then be back to at the scheduled time to pick her up.  Now I had done it --- I had to go...can't lie to your mom, can you?

Off I went.  I got changed, started a motivating tune on my iPod and entered the settings on the treadmill..I used the same one as last time.  The first five minutes were fine but every one of the running minutes were killer!  I am certain time slowed to half time for each of them.  I kept thinking I can't do this.  What ever possessed me to tell people what I was doing....what have I done?!?!?!

Somehow, my stubborn streak kicked in and I made it through all 26 minutes, but it was so very tough.  Much tougher than the first session.  Just torturous.

Even after I was done, all I wanted to do was have a nap.  I was proud of what I had accomplished but terrified of this project.  For the first time, I was scared as to whether or not I would be able to accomplish it.

Rosanna, the fitness coordinator at the gym told me it only gets easier from here but I am not sure I believe her yet.  I decided I would have to come back at least once to see if she was telling the truth.

Home, shower and off to enjoy a delicious, well earned dinner with great friends!

Storm

No comments:

Post a Comment