Thursday, December 10, 2009

Shovelling snow vs. Going to the gym

That was my dilemma yesterday.  We had our first snow fall of the season yesterday.  It was a wet, heavy snow.  I know this because I shoveled it. 

At first that was my plan....I will shovel the snow instead of going to the gym.  I though it is such a great idea! Then it happened...I started to feel this need to move.  To exert....to sweat....to go to the gym.....sigh...

Next thing you know, I was packing my gym bag.  It is a more of a pain to go to the gym in this weather.  I had to pack my shoes and wear my boots.  Seems like a little thing, but it just makes it more difficult.....we all like things to be easy.

I was very proud of me for going.  It did feel right though.  I wanted to be there.

When there, I did do 60 minutes of cardio.  I used the elliptical trainer at level 3 on manual.  I used the handles for the entire time.  It was tough going at first, but quickly I found my little escape in listening to my music, looking around the gym and generally just day dreaming.  Quickly 8 minutes zipped by.

At around the 15 minute mark, I noticed a smiling face coming my way.  It was my cardio buddy Lesley.  I love it when he arrives.  He regularly does his 30 minutes of cardio before hitting the weights.  We have great conversations and before I know it, half an hour has passed.  Thanks Lesley!

After he was gone, I had a little less than 15 minutes to go.  It was going quite well until the last 2 minutes.....they were the longest two minutes of my life!  I wanted to just hop off and go lie down for a nap......

I have learned that I am stubborn though.  I had set a goal.  I couldn't quit.  I finished all 60 minutes!  According to the machine, I burned 780 calories.....felt good!

Storm

No comments:

Post a Comment