Wednesday, December 9, 2009

On a new journey

Originally I had thought I would start my new fitness journey last week, but life being what it is, I began yesterday.

I realized that I could not keep finding reasons to distract me.  As the commercial said, I had to Just Do It.  I think that is a problem for me.  I am not always great at saying no.  I do not put me first.  Yesterday I was planning to visit my nephews for a bit.  Usually there is no such thing as a short visit.  A planned pop in turns into a marathon afternoon and slowly slides into dinner and eventually you find yourself pulling into the driveway around 10 or 11. 

Knowing this, I told them I had things to do first and would be by when I was free.  I woke, had breakfast and did some work before heading to the gym around 11 am.  I felt good.

Water bottle....check
iPod......check
Hair clippy thing.....check

I was ready.  Today was day one.

Day one on my journey to becoming more fit.
Day one on my journey to run 5km.

Phase II, knowing I wanted to do this, pulled a  Learn to Run program from the internet and sent it to me.  That is what I decided to follow.  Also, as I am starting this indoors and most 5km are outside, I decided to do this on an incline. 

I walked in.  Scanned the cardio area.  Picked a treadmill. 
Next, placed my water bottle on the right and selected the first song on my iPod.....I will survive!

I selected my settings.....
Program.....Manual
Time.....30 minutes
Incline.....1.2
Pace.......3.0

I was off.

Walk:  5 minutes.....3.0
I can do this. Maybe I will walk a bit extra to loosen up more.
Use the arms. Look up. Feeling strong.
Run:  1 minute......3.6
Not bad.....ugh......is one minute over yet?
Walk: 4 minutes.....3.0
Gasp.....sweat....where is my water....5+1+4 = 10....ok....I don't have to run until 10....I can do it.....
Run:  1 minute.....3.6
I am doin' it.  I can do this.....how long is a minute...is the clock broken?
Walk:  4 minutes.....3.0
Ok....I'm ok.....wow....I am pretty much recovered and it is about 1 to 2 minutes after the last run interval.....this is about half way!
Run:  1 minute.....3.6
I can do this. Maybe I should set the speed higher?  Maybe not.  I'll leave it here.  Don't want to go nuts and get stalled.  I can work on raising it next time.....time is over already?
Walk: 4 minutes.....3.0
Who are they interviewing on that show?  Oh, look at those ladies.  They have been walking the track for a while.   I can't believe I am already at 20 minutes!
Run: 1 minute.....3.6
This is it.  My last run minute for today. Wow!  1 down...23 to go.  10 seconds....9...8..........
Walk: 5 minutes.....3.0
Look at me....I am drenched.  I did it!!  I did it!!!  Me, I am proud of you. 

Walking 22 minutes.
Running 4 minutes.

This was empowering.  Regular people may not understand.  I am obese.  I realized a while ago that my thinking is limiting my life experiences.  I am not going to let that keep happening.  I want to live as long as I can.  I want to make better choices. 

After just one 26 minute session, I have already gained so much.
I have committed to a new goal.
I believe I can attain this new goal.
I feel proud.
I feel strong.

I will do it.  I have to do it.

There is a lot of shame attached to being overweight.  You get used to the looks people give you.  You get used to feeling self conscious.  I have always felt comfortable at the gym.  But, I felt that way (self conscious, embarassed) when I first arrived at the gym yesterday.  I think it is because you do not expect to see a fat person running.  In hindsight, by the time I was at minute 6, I did not care.  I was so focused on myself and this challenge that I was no longer self conscious.  As much as any physical benefits, this self confidence is a gift and a great reward.

After finishing, changing and heading home, I took the dog for a nice half hour walk and then headed off to see the boys.  I got there at 1:30pm.  I had put me first.

Thanks for sharing step one on my journey.

Storm